It’s almost the end of October! With Halloween less than a week away, the chilly days and deepening dark of November are nearly upon us, and the quick slide into the winter holiday season will begin. What better time to kindle a fire of sacred music that evokes faith and community with one another?
To that end, Gaudete is preparing for our very first offering, which will take place on November 18, 2018 at 7 pm at the Althea Center in Denver. The performance, conducted by our music director, David Bell, will set the precedent for Gaudete’s ongoing, monthly offerings of music through sacred chant, hymns, and anthems–including a mass movement by Schubert, a Russian Orthodox meditation on communion, and a haunting piece about faith set to writing found on a concentration camp wall. There will also be a few instrumental pieces played by our wonderful accompanist, Kris Wittry (watch this space–we’ll post more about Kris soon!).
All this comes together to bring you approximately 40 minutes of sacred music without the church. You don’t need to be religious–just come on down to share in this performance to close your weekend and prepare for the holiday season, refreshing your mind, body, and spirit through a community experience of uplifting, thoughtful, stimulating, and meditative music.
We are pleased to introduce Gaudete, a new kind of choir in Denver that will provide opportunities for singing sacred music for people who don’t want to go to church (or who just want to sing more!). We are creating a new choral singing experience, and we’re looking for singers who are interested in what we have to offer:
- A chance to sing sacred works without the trappings and dogma of a church service
- Opportunities to learn about new types of spiritual music and to sing old favorites, from a range of denominations and cultures
- Performing monthly in a Sunday evening offering to the community
As a singer in Gaudete, you will be auditioned based on our expected standards, which include:
- Ability to match pitch and sing in the correct octave
- Basic sight-reading capability, which will establish your ability to work on music outside of rehearsal
- Ability to sing a musical line or melody against a contrasting musical line or harmony
- A love of singing choral music
We rehearse on Thursday evenings, 7-9 pm with our first rehearsal on Thursday, Oct. 11th, and our first public offering is Sunday, Nov. 18th at 7pm.
We rehearse and perform at the Althea Center, 1400 N. Williams St., Denver, CO 80218.
Gaudete is starting out as a dues-based choir, with hopes of achieving a donor base and non-profit status; For more information or to schedule an audition, contact the director, David Bell, at email@example.com or 720-384-3712.